Enjoyable test drive today

All Renault Austral related discussions
FiestaRed

Post by FiestaRed »

Having previously tried the Austral for size, I had my first test drive in one this morning, very impressive. The model/grade I was loaned was the Iconic which had far more aids and gadgets than I could work out in a simple test drive. I even struggled shutting the car down. First time I pushed the STOP button, my drivers seat moved and even the radio and lights stayed on so I walked back to the garage and asked for help. As I was doing this the car seemed to shut down. My current car is a Toyota Corolla Touring Sport which shuts down as soon as I press the stop button.

Overall I was extremely impressed with the car and the way it drove. The four wheel steering on the Iconic was something I'd not experienced before but again, quite impressive.
Mother Nature don't straight lines, Broken moulds in a grand design, We look a mess but we're doing fine, We're card carrying lifelong members of the Union Of Different Kinds.

FiestaRed

Post by FiestaRed »

No one able to help with the STOP button?
Mother Nature don't straight lines, Broken moulds in a grand design, We look a mess but we're doing fine, We're card carrying lifelong members of the Union Of Different Kinds.
Kwozzii

Post by Kwozzii »

As regards to the STOP button, from what I gather, when you get in the car the it defaults to the saves settings for seats, mirrors etc. so I assume it just reverted to those settings when you turned it on.
As for switching off when you walk away that'll just be because of the proximity sensor knowing the key's out of range so it locks the car.
FiestaRed

Post by FiestaRed »

Kwozzii wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:57 pm As regards to the STOP button, from what I gather, when you get in the car the it defaults to the saves settings for seats, mirrors etc. so I assume it just reverted to those settings when you turned it on.
As for switching off when you walk away that'll just be because of the proximity sensor knowing the key's out of range so it locks the car.
Thanks for the help.
tmonkeyuk

Post by tmonkeyuk »

Most cars seem to come in 3 flavours now - those that shut down the dash immediately, those that do it based on driver door opening / closing and those that do it based on the locking / unlocking. The Austral sits in the third group.

It's essentially 3 elements - core electrics (start when the car unlocks), main electrics (start if you push the stop/start button without your foot on the brake pedal), engine start (when you push stop/start with you foot on the brake pedal).
When you stop, putting the car into Park and hitting stop/start will shut off the engine (will also put the car in Park and apply the electronic brake if you didn't put it in Park yourself) but will leave the main electrics running. As Kwozzii described above, just get out, shut the door and walk away and the car will shut everything down and lock itself.

The seat moving bit will also likely have been that the car you test drove had the easy access function turned on for that seat. In that situation the seat will move back when the door is opened with the engine off to allow easier access in and out of the vehicle.
FiestaRed

Post by FiestaRed »

tmonkeyuk wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:00 pm Most cars seem to come in 3 flavours now - those that shut down the dash immediately, those that do it based on driver door opening / closing and those that do it based on the locking / unlocking. The Austral sits in the third group.

It's essentially 3 elements - core electrics (start when the car unlocks), main electrics (start if you push the stop/start button without your foot on the brake pedal), engine start (when you push stop/start with you foot on the brake pedal).
When you stop, putting the car into Park and hitting stop/start will shut off the engine (will also put the car in Park and apply the electronic brake if you didn't put it in Park yourself) but will leave the main electrics running. As Kwozzii described above, just get out, shut the door and walk away and the car will shut everything down and lock itself.

The seat moving bit will also likely have been that the car you test drove had the easy access function turned on for that seat. In that situation the seat will move back when the door is opened with the engine off to allow easier access in and out of the vehicle.
Thanks for the help, really appreciated.