Brand new and back in garage

Faults and Technical chat for the Renault Austral
willip10

Post by willip10 »

willip10 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:37 am I have exactly the saame issue with my Austral that the tech team at Renault have been looking into.

The infotainment pack in the app never connects to the car and is not active.

This has been going on since picking the car up from 18th December. I seem to have two cars in my app one is the registered car and the other is the same car still being delivered to the Renault delaer. Speaking to them there was nothing they can do as this is controlled by renault themselves.

I also have trouble with the traffic recognition system which the dealer is going to look at in February as I need a curtesy car off them. With mine adaptive cruise control never works and doesnt speed up or slow down via the traffic signs. Also the traffic sign recognition system in the vehicle controls are missing some settings.
The dealership has had the car for two days and just looked over the settings of the car. They said they have spoken to Renault UK and Speed change due to traffic sign recognition is not part of the Austral range in the UK (I don't believe that) Also there has been an update sent out over night / early hours of this morning that my car may benifit from. They have been told by Renault not to use this for 24 hours ( I don't believe that either) It seems like this will be a dealer install via a laptop. So hopefully will hear from them soon and all will then be fixed.

Ian_V

Post by Ian_V »

So just looking over the website.

It talks about traffic sign recognition with alerts if you exceed the speed limit but nothing about changing the cruise control speed

Another section talks of regulating speed according to the road conditions.

Neither specifically mention changing cruise control settings from reading speed signs so possibly hard to argue
willip10

Post by willip10 »

Ian_V wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:29 am So just looking over the website.

It talks about traffic sign recognition with alerts if you exceed the speed limit but nothing about changing the cruise control speed

Another section talks of regulating speed according to the road conditions.

Neither specifically mention changing cruise control settings from reading speed signs so possibly hard to argue
Hi Ian

Can I just say that I love the car and if this isn't an option I wouldn't mind and have no problem in keeping the car, its fantastic!

But I was told by the salesman that this was part of the car, Renault also told me this should be possible when I noticed it wasn't working and they asked me to contact the dealership for further investigation. There is also a button on the steering wheel when cruise control is on, that you can manually press the button when the sign post has changed speed, and it changes the car speed to match. There are instructions in the manual of how to set this up automatically. but this section is blank in the settings of the car, but they do exist. I do also believe this was working when I had the car first of all ( middle of December) , but I have had a software update since then and now doesn't work. It seems strange why I have a manual button / but Renault decided to not make this automatic, but still mentions it in the manual?

It's aso mentioned here - https://www.renault.co.uk/how-to-videos ... ideos.html If you watch the traffic-sign recognition video on that page

it mentions it there and how to set it up around the 2:18 sec time. I have that option but it's just blank.
Ian_V

Post by Ian_V »

It certainly won’t be a show stopper for me and hope I enjoy mine as much as you enjoy yours. Just need them to pull their fingers out and let me have the car now 🙄
Gillas

Post by Gillas »

Potentially the option was pulled on UK spec cars owing to the issues with recognising National Speed limit signs that people are reporting.
Could be possible that once that is resolved the feature will return in another update.
Ian_V

Post by Ian_V »

So been given the news that I can finally have my car tomorrow 😀
tmonkeyuk

Post by tmonkeyuk »

Section 6/22 of Adaptive Cruise Control (page 2.115) onwards in the owners manual PDF talks about the various adaptive cruise control functions including the ability to automatically adjust speed with advance speed limit sign recognition but also goes on to state the function is based on a subscription and, as per the above, we don't seem to have the option in the UK. At least not with the software version currently installed.
It's actually one of the functions I was most looking forward to using having also seen it in the video before we got the car. It seemed like a nice option when using cruise on our road network given the number of variable speed limit areas and average speed checks in roadworks we need to contend with.
As the system works currently you need to either manually adjust the cruise speed or press the speed detection button on the steering wheel again (bottom left of the cruise buttons) to get the system to update itself but the second of those options can only be done AFTER the car has recognised the new signage which is often delayed beyond where you'd want it to happen, especially of course when the limit drops.
Gillas wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:33 pm Potentially the option was pulled on UK spec cars owing to the issues with recognising National Speed limit signs that people are reporting.
Could be possible that once that is resolved the feature will return in another update.
We had that issue with our car originally but it looks like it was purely a side effect of not being able to get the Active Services linked up to the car. Once we finally get the Renault account to login within the car itself the speed recognition started behaving. Further reading in the manual actually cleared it up for me as the way it was working for us originally (no national speed limit recognition, other limits only being displayed for a limited time after you passed them) exactly matches the way the manual describes it will behave if the Active Services subscription has expired. There's probably going to be a raft of people complaining in 5+ years time when they buy 2nd hand Austral's and the speed camera recognition is working that exact same way for them!
Gillas

Post by Gillas »

Whilst waiting for some progress bars I googled Speed sign recognition national speed limit and there are lots of posts in various forums of all manufacturers reporting issues with this and some other coloured signs in Europe. It seems that only black on white with a red circle is reliably picked up. And considering that many of our signs are filthy or obscured it obviously won't read those. The camera is also going to struggle to differentiate between a sign on an adjacent road / lane / slip road and the road / lane that you are actually driving on.
This means that tying it to the adaptive cruise control may not be very effective (and possibly has been deactivated on UK spec cars as a result). It is disappointing but a limitation of the technology I feel.

I have spent only 5 mins searching this so am no means an expert but thought that I would share what I found with the group.
willip10

Post by willip10 »

for info I just had this fro Renault Customer Services UK.

Thank you for your patience whilst I checked for you.
I can confirm your vehicle is the New Austral Iconic Esprit and this does not come with the automatic cruise control.
I have provided you with the link for the Iconic Esprit for your perusal.

<Link to Renault site>

So although its mented in the video and the salesman told me it was part of the car. It seems in the UK that is not the case.
Gillas

Post by Gillas »

Then surely some for of compensation required from the dealership is in order. I placed an order largely on the basis of having adaptive cruise control. All of the press material, reviews and indeed the online material states that this is a feature so I am expecting to have it installed.