Dashcam

All Renault Austral related discussions
Coutainville

Post by Coutainville »

I fitted the dashcam I had in my Kadjar to my new Austral. It is an AZDOME M300, not a 4K, quite old actually but still work. You can see on the pictures that it is small and doesn't have a screen (I did not want to have a screen), The installation was quite straight forward, I did not want to void the warranty so I did not do a hard wiring but, just used the 12V socket.

10.jpg

9.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Steeef1965

Post by Steeef1965 »

Thanks for your post and pics. I was wondering where to put mine as in my last car had to put it on the passenger side of the mirror which annoyed the wife. Will be installing mine at the weekend, hopefully mine will fit where you put yours.
Coutainville

Post by Coutainville »

You are welcome, good luck with the installation :)
Gillas

Post by Gillas »

I presume that the 12v socket is ignition switched? Just ordered our Austral but it is a Motability car and we are not allowed to hard wire.
Steeef1965

Post by Steeef1965 »

Yes its ignition switched. And I found it pretty easy to hide the wires down the Doors rubber seals. I've not quite worked out how to hide the cable where it crosses from the top of the windscreen and across the pillar but that's mainly because I've been busy with work and not had chance to see how the pillar panel will lift up a little to hide the cable yet but its ok as it is.
Gillas

Post by Gillas »

Great, thanks. Hopefully it is hideable in that area.
I consider a dashcam such an essential part of driving now. Bought one after a bizarre incident on private land (exhaust ripped off by temporary trackway) then found that I was accused of driving like a lunatic. Dashcam would have proved that I was creeping in traffic as they well knew.

2nd time when it did help I was hit by someone pulling out of a bus stop and across the nearside lane straight into me on the outside lane of a busy A road!

Really surprised that they aren't part of the vehicle itself especially given that they are full of cameras already.

An useful alternative would be a 12v socket hidden behind the glovebox or something. My X-Type had this (different connector but they provided the other side of it and you just had to crimp spade connectors.
Coutainville

Post by Coutainville »

To hide the cable at top of wind screen and pillar, you can just un-clip the pillar cover, it comes out very easily. Also, I have no screen but the dashcam streams live to my phone, easy to download recordings and change settings of the dashcam (see pic), no need to remove the SD card.

12.jpg

11.jpg

6.jpg

Steeef1965

Post by Steeef1965 »

Thanks for the info on the pillar cover. I'll give that a go tomorrow :-)
Kwozzii

Post by Kwozzii »

Nice job 👍🏼! Is the fuse box easy to get at? Also, does hard wiring a dashcam void the warranty in some way?
Coutainville

Post by Coutainville »

Cheers, I was not sure about hard wiring and warranty issues, so I wired to the cigarette lighter. I would have preferred hard wired to have the parking function, I might do it later when I get the courage :)