Dashcam

All Renault Austral related discussions
Kwozzii

Post by Kwozzii »

Hopefully picking my Austral up next weekend 🤞🏻, I've seen some power solutions that use the OBD 2 port, never done that but might be an alternative?
I see Renault offer a Kenwood dash cam that they fit but I'm happy with my NextBase one and don't want to fork out for another one.

Kwozzii

Post by Kwozzii »

I see NextBase do an official OBD II power supply for their series 2 dash cams now - thinking of trying one of them but am concerned about battery drain if the power supply is constantly on.....
Ian_V

Post by Ian_V »

I have a Nextbase dashcam using the ODB port. In the app you can set a low voltage cutout for the camera. By default it is set to 12v. I increased this to 12.5v to give a little more headroom ( would rather the camera switched off than a flat battery). This also has the advantage of filming when parked.

Also I believe the Nextbase dashcams do something clever with dropping into a low power mode unless it detects motion. I have left mine for a couple of days without driving the car and the camera was still operational and the car started fine so seems to work.
Kwozzii

Post by Kwozzii »

Ian_V wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:44 pm I have a Nextbase dashcam using the ODB port. In the app you can set a low voltage cutout for the camera. By default it is set to 12v. I increased this to 12.5v to give a little more headroom ( would rather the camera switched off than a flat battery). This also has the advantage of filming when parked.

Also I believe the Nextbase dashcams do something clever with dropping into a low power mode unless it detects motion. I have left mine for a couple of days without driving the car and the camera was still operational and the car started fine so seems to work.
Thanks for that - I bought the Nextbase OBD hardwire kit the other day, just trying to figure out where to put all the excess cable when I do it..
Kwozzii

Post by Kwozzii »

@Ian_V Is your dashcmam one of the iQ models? I can't find a setting in the Nextbase app to change the voltage - mine's a 422GW.
Thanks
FocusArmy

Post by FocusArmy »

Can you explain the cigarette light part? Where is your camera plugged in?
Coutainville

Post by Coutainville »

The power lead from my dashcam was terminated with a cigarette lighter type of plug, i hid the lead just above the cigarette lighter socket.

9.jpg

Ian_V

Post by Ian_V »

@kwozzii yes my dashcam is an iQ model
FocusArmy

Post by FocusArmy »

How did you unclip the cover under rear view mirror? I don't wanna break it!
Coutainville

Post by Coutainville »

It actually came out quite easily, no tools, required although I had these plastic thongs I did not need them. I think that you have to push the right side inward and it came out. I was a bit worried as well that I might break it, but at the end it allows to really hide any cables.