Regeneration mode. Two things please.

Faults and Technical chat for the Renault Austral
Mr rugby

Post by Mr rugby »

All Austral models.
1/ Does the brake light come on when RE-Generation mode is in use.
The maximum regen mode position is quite strong and slows the car quickly sometimes with only a slight brake pedal push to finally stop....., possibly catching out drivers behind if the brake lights are unlit until this time upon slow down.

2/ Why on earth have they set up the Re-gen paddle system controllers in such a way that pressing the PLUS + paddle on the right side reduces the regen amount while pressing the MINUS -
paddle on the left increases the regeneration strength.

Surely, plus + should indicate more regeneration, while minus - would indicate less ????
Friends who spotted this have said it would make for a more understandable system for those new to regeneration mode and it's purpose.

Any ideas.

Cheers

Mr Rugby

Coutainville

Post by Coutainville »

I agree with the plus and minus paddle, so weird. Regarding the stop light while regen braking, yes it does come automatically. You can see it on the car icon on the little screen behind the steering wheel.
FocusArmy

Post by FocusArmy »

Yes I thought the plus minus is most definetly the wrong way round. Looked for an option to switch them but there wasn't one!
Last edited by FocusArmy on Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
FocusArmy

Post by FocusArmy »

I wonder what saves more fuel, coasting or coasting with some brake regen applied!?
ColinS

Post by ColinS »

I would imagine coasting with some brake regen applied. Otherwise why would they fit it.
Coutainville

Post by Coutainville »

I use my paddles as much as I use the brake pedal, before I know I am going to brake I give 3 pulse to minus for full regen then when I am back motoring I give 3 pulse on the plus paddle to remove all regen to allow the car to coast if needed without losing too much velocity. It takes a bit of practice but I think that I have mastered it by now :)
My wife or my daughters can't be bothered and don't use the regen at all. I use less petrol than them, so I assume that I am doing something good...
FocusArmy

Post by FocusArmy »

Coutainville wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:29 am I use my paddles as much as I use the brake pedal, before I know I am going to brake I give 3 pulse to minus for full regen then when I am back motoring I give 3 pulse on the plus paddle to remove all regen to allow the car to coast if needed without losing too much velocity. It takes a bit of practice but I think that I have mastered it by now :)
My wife or my daughters can't be bothered and don't use the regen at all. I use less petrol than them, so I assume that I am doing something good...
It would be nice to know the charge rate of one, two and three arrow setting on the regen. I'm curious to know just how much more charging you get from 2 to 3 say!?
Mr rugby

Post by Mr rugby »

Coutainville wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:29 am I use my paddles as much as I use the brake pedal, before I know I am going to brake I give 3 pulse to minus for full regen then when I am back motoring I give 3 pulse on the plus paddle to remove all regen to allow the car to coast if needed without losing too much velocity. It takes a bit of practice but I think that I have mastered it by now :)
My wife is turning out to be pretty good at this regen braking method and cannot wait to tell me she hasn't used the brake pedal apart from the final stop. She regularly gets ECO scores in the 90%, while mine are in the 80%. After now completing several hundred miles around the hills and roads of southern wales our average mpg is 51 mpg, which aint too bad but still 10 mpg short of Renaults 61 mpg headline figures.
Coutainville

Post by Coutainville »

I think that when used right the regen paddle will save petrol, save brake pads/disk and makes a smoother ride.
Coutainville

Post by Coutainville »

FocusArmy wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:03 am
It would be nice to know the charge rate of one, two and three arrow setting on the regen. I'm curious to know just how much more charging you get from 2 to 3 say!?
I think that it is a bit like the brake pedal, we will get use to the level of regen with using it often.