Renault and Google connected services

All Renault Austral related discussions
ColinS

Post by ColinS »

I've just been looking at the online openR link document. In the section on "ACTIVATING SERVICES" it is apparent that this has to be activated and everything agreed to in order for the system to be in any way useful. Towards the end of the section, under "Expiry of the services" it states:
The services are activated for a limited period. Once this has elapsed, the services cease to work. To reactivate the services, please consult the paragraph entitled “Online services”.
I cannot find any further reference to "Online Services".

So my questions are:

1) Does anyone know what length the "limited period" is?

2) How does one reactivate it and what are the cost implications?

3) At the end of the "limited period" is it possible to connect it via a smartphone being used as a tether?

AndyC123

Post by AndyC123 »

You can find the expiry dates of your various services in the Renault mobile phone app under "Contracts". For my car the following periods are given:

Auto updates 60 months
Connected driving 60 months
Navigation pack 60 months
Remote Services 60 months
Emergency Call 360 months

If you sign up to the Orange Mobile you get 6 months use and 3Gb of data. After that you either have to pay Orange, which looks expensive, or use your own mobile for a data connection. I think this only applies to downloading music etc and not the maps which are part of the navigation pack.

Anything with an expiry date of 60 months or more I haven't worried about as I don't think I will have the car by then based on the usual time I keep cars.

You also get 6 months free Amazon Music if you look under "For You" in the Renault App. Some of the Amazon screens are a bit misleading but I have got past the first month without being charged so I think it is working.

The key thing to remember is you are buying a large Google based mobile phone which happens to have 4 wheels.